Low Sal Products Sept 5, 2013 17:10:29 GMT
Post by Sal on Sept 5, 2013 17:10:29 GMT
The following products often contain salicylates so check them carefully:
- Deodorants, especially solids and roll-ons, check for castor oil. (Most spray deodorants are fine.)
- Acne or Oily Skin products: check especially for salicylic acid (beta hydroxy acid), menthol or witch hazel.
- Lotions – look for aloe, plant oils such as sesame seed.
- Hair products – look for chamomile, borage, salicylic acid, balsam.
- Toothpaste and dental floss – make sure it doesn’t have mint flavor or menthol hidden in the flavor.
- Lipsticks – look for castor oil and other plants oils.
- Chapsticks and lip balms: check for aloe, menthol, camphor, salicylic acid.
- Shaving creams – check especially for aloe, mint or mentholatum.
- Razors-make sure there is no aloe strip
- Sunscreens – check for octisalate, homosalate, meradimate, mexoryl, camphor, aloe, green tea extract and grape seed extract.
- Medicated creams, like Ben-Gay, Noxzema, Blistex: look for menthol, camphor, or methyl salicylate.
- Hemorrhoid products: check for aloe, witch hazel or menthol.
If it feels cool or if it burns, it probably contains menthol–check carefully
- Cortisone Creams, over the counter: check for aloe
- Gum, cough drops, hard candies–check for mint or menthol.
- In Skin Toners check especially for witch hazel or arnica or salicylic acid.
- Vitamin C–check for bioflavonoids, or added plants such as alfalfa, parsley or rose hips.
- Toilet paper and kleenex may have aloe.
- Gardening: Use waterproof gloves when gardening. Check them periodically for holes.
- Use gloves for chores if you use plant oils such as: Pinesol or Lemon Oil.
- Bubble baths and shower gels: check for plant oils such sesame seed or extracts such as lavender.
- Wart or callus removers check for salicylate, salicylic acid
- Exfolliating gels or scrubs: check for salicylic acid
These are ones I find I can tolerate. More will added as time goes on.
The main brand I use is
A useful way of order is online